Morgan's Doglog

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My Life Story, Part 4

(For My Life Story, Parts 1-3, click the July 2005 link under Archives in the right column.)

We left our hero (me) in the belly of a great silver bird, sick to my stomach due to turbulence, with a broken heart to boot. I now understand that the great silver bird was actually an airplane--one of those noisy things overhead that look like birds. How was I supposed to know that? This thing looked a lot bigger on the ground.

The airplane took me thousands of miles from North Carolina and everything I'd ever known. Getting off the airplane was a bit like landing in Oz. Everything was different, even the air, which was cool and refreshing. I had landed in Seattle, Washington, the place I was to live for the next seven years of my life.

My new owner picked me up at the airport. Her name was Teresa. I lived with Teresa and her many roommates for the next five years. I liked living with all those girls. They petted me endlessly and took me for lots of adventures.

Unfortunately, Teresa had to work for a living. That meant I got stuck in a tiny dog run in the back yard all day every day. What a far cry from wandering the woods of North Carolina, raiding henhouses and barking at noisy pickup trucks!

To make life interesting, I taught myself how to dig. Whatever Teresa did to keep me in that dog run, I tried my darndest to get out of. Often she came home to find a hole under the fence--and no me! Ha--good times. I always came back, though.

Unfortunately, Washington state is gung-ho on leash laws. I spent those years pulling on a leash to get my sniffing in. I think there's something unconstitutional about leash laws, but since I don't have a law degree, I never checked it out.

Note: I now live in Alaska, where leash laws exist but are never enforced, thank goodness.

Gradually, over time, my broken heart healed. But I never again fell in love with humans -- not even with Teresa. I loved her, but not in the same way. I always suspected she would give me away some day and she did. I did not understand it at the time, but I do now.

Teresa decided to move to Arizona to be with the human she loved. That person had a mangy mongrel and we did not get along at all. Clearly, one of us had to go. I know, you would expect it to be the mangy mongrel. But I know now that they figured that it would be easier to find a home for the gorgeous golden retriever than the ugly terrier type thing.

So Teresa put the word out among her friends that she had a golden retriever to give away.

In Part 5, I'll tell you how I came to live with my current owners, who at last gave me a permanent home.

5 Comments:

  • Cut to the chase, Morgan!!

    *hee, hee, I made a doggie pun*

    By Anonymous Eleanor, at 10:55 AM  

  • I don't get it.

    By Blogger Morgan, at 1:05 PM  

  • You and me both, buddy.

    By Anonymous Jeff Meyerson, at 1:42 PM  

  • Thank goodness, Jeff's back. I know he's always on my side. I need all the help I can get!

    By Blogger Morgan, at 3:44 PM  

  • what a troubled life you've led Morgan! Poor baby! I'm so glad you've (somehow) ended up in Alaska...

    By Anonymous Debbie, at 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
[prefs.setac_phrase]